Tuesday 8 March 2011

Life is intrinsically, well, boring and dangerous at the same time. At any given moment the floor may open up. Of course, it almost never does; that's what makes it so boring. ~ Edward Gorey















Recently I gathered my courage and began to read Audrey’s blog – the journey. DCW has been following it for some time and I knew by his occasional comment at the kitchen table that it was exceptional. It is about living with cancer.
Audrey’s post today “Gently sailing” resonated deeply - a balance between hope and reason, the momentous and the minor. It reminded me of when a typical day with my sister Carol Anne, who had cancer, required me to reach inward and grasp whatever courage and strength I could muster to navigate the distance between chemo or radiation or whatever the day's outing and sharing a cup of tea or watching a demonstration of her newest computer game or having a laugh or cry at the craziness of it all. I learned a lot about living from her and, I believe, the lesson that has served me best is to strive for balance.
I had not known until recently that Carol Anne feared she would be forgotten. Silly girl ~Sail away by David Gray

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, I don't know where to begin. First of all, what a beautiful post - it brought swelling to my heart and tears to my eyes. I am so grateful that you were able to spend some very precious time with your sister. Speaking on her behalf I can tell you that your actions and kindness had more impact on her than all of the radiation and chemotherapy combined. Cancer is a disease that leaves the patient feeling so isolated. Quiet moments with loved ones become very treasured time. I know that she was extremely grateful to you for all that you did.
And I am grateful that you are reading my blog, and extending your thoughts. They are very much appreciated. Thank you!

Nants said...

"To live in the hearts of those who love you is to never die."

If she only knew how much she was truly loved, she would never have worried about being forgotten. I sometimes believe that we think of our lovely sister more now than we would, if she were still with us physically.

Hugs

Unknown said...

Oh my, how could I ever forget my sweet Auntie Carol Ann? I think if her often, and so wish she was around to listen to my stories and give me encouragement. She would gave loved to meet Owen.

Nants said...

She would have been making pots of soup, gathering us up and heading over to your place to sit in the rocker and sing her beautiful songs to Owen. <3

Driftwood & Turtles said...

Thank you, Audrey.

Well Nants I can't say you're the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning, however, you do cross my thoughts by the time I've finished my coffee. I think of all my sisters every morning - you are close to my heart. But Carol's singing could hardly be described as beautiful although she made darn good soup ; )

Em,

The only thing that could make my experience with Owen better is to have been able to see the smile that would have been on Carol's face with your sweet, sweet boy in her arms.

Nants said...

:0)

I said beautiful "songs"!!! LOL!

And, I'm assuming not much crosses your mind until that first sip or two of coffee! :0)

Love ya!!!!

(am I in trouble now?)

xox

Driftwood & Turtles said...

Nants, No more than usual ~